Friday, April 1, 2011

VoraX on MAC OS

A few weeks ago I received an issue about the fact that VoraX doesn't work on MAC OS. For me it wasn't such a big surprise as I never tested VoraX on MAC OS, simply because I didn't have this platform available.

"It's time for action!" I said to myself having in mind the possibility to install this OS as a virtual machine and test VoraX on it. So, I grabbed a vmware MAC OS image and I tried to run it using vmware player. It's not a big deal, isn't it? Well, apparently this can't be done on my old PC because a CPU with VM-x stuff is needed. Damn it! Yeap, it's time for a CPU upgrade. I ordered an Intel Dual Core Duo 8400 and I patiently waited to arrive. Yesterday the new CPU was on my desk, ready to be installed. The installation was a piece of cake, the new CPU being recognised by my old motherboard except for the virtualization feature, that VT-x I was looking for. Buying a new motherboard didn't sound very appealing so I decided to look for a BIOS update. My MB is a Gygabyte and it already had the last stable BIOS installed. There was also a beta firmware available but that "beta" seemed a little bit scary. However, I had nothing to loose therefore I decided to go with the beta version. Aaand, after the upgrade, what a surprise! A brand new option called "Virtualization" was available in BIOS. Yesss! With this VT-x feature available I was able to run the vmware MAC OS image.

Hmmm... my very first time on MAC OS. It looks nice, kind of glossy but nothing to complain of. Well, maybe my lack of knowledge about this OS. However, having previous experience with a *NIX system is a big advantage. As soon as you get a terminal window it's like an usual *NIX box. I was able to check for ruby version and to install antlr3 gem. Mac OS 1.6.X is quite ready for VoraX. Then I downloaded macvim which has ruby support enabled. Then I installed the oracle instant client. I was a little bit surprised about the fact that the last available version for MAC is 10.2.0.4 and not 11.2.0.2. In the end I installed VoraX (the linux way into the ~/.vim dir) and I created a very basic .vimrc file:

set nocompatible
filetype plugin on


Below is the final result.


Yeap, VoraX on MAC. It's time to update the site/documentation to let people know that VoraX is also supported on MAC. Have fun guys!

No comments: